Black Hills Estate Winery (BHEW) is a prestigious and very successful winery operating on the famed Black Sage Road between Oliver and Osoyoos, B.C. in Canada. From this spectacular terroir, our winery has been producing exceptional wines including our flagship Nota Bene, Alibi, Carmenere, Viognier and Syrah wines. Since 2012 Black Hills Estate Winery has been operating a world-class, award-winning, Wine Experience Center in the middle of our beautiful vineyard setting. This operation has been providing our guests with superlative sit-down wine tasting experiences guided by personal wine educators.
We are now recruiting for the position of Assistant Manager for our Wine Experience Center.
The ideal candidate will have a strong hospitality background and experience in managing a team as well as being hands-on in dealing with customers and creating great experiences. We will be looking for candidates with proven experience in operations of a restaurant, wine shop or other high-energy retail environment. Experience with wine is a must and local knowledge a strong asset.
This is as a permanent, year-round position offering an attractive salary and excellent bonuses and benefits. Further, the winery provides excellent training and further educational opportunities. Prospective applicants must be available to work on weekends during the busy peak summer season. The Assistant Manager will work very closely with the existing team at Black Hills Estate Winery and will report directly to Pauline Gagnon, General Manager Hospitality & DTC, work directly with Jesse Collins, Wine Experience Manger and indirectly to Glenn Fawcett, President. The individual hired will be a team player, a leader, and a self-starter who can create positive long term working relationships with all employees, suppliers, trade associations and the local community.
General duties for this position include:
Hands on involvement in every facet of the Wine Experience Center operation. Including:
- Schedule staff based on seasonal trends.
- Preparing the tasting room for opening and closing daily
- Stock merchandise and supplies as needed.
- Balancing and managing of wine shop inventory and participate in monthly inventory processes.
- Accurately handle daily tasks as well as POS transactions, including: entering orders, updating member profiles, customer service, etc.
- Perform wine tastings and tours according to established policies and procedures.
- Host and educate customers about each of our products and Black Hills unique story by providing amazing tasting experiences while focusing on building our tasting room sales and wine club base.
- Represents the company and brands, professionally, graciously and enthusiastically.
Education, skills and experience
- Strong leadership skills that can generate enthusiasm and build team spirit with the staff of the Wine Experience Center
- Minimum of 3 years of Hospitality and/or retail management experience within the wine industry.
- Must have an outgoing personality; be a quick learner who is fast on your feet with the ability to multi-task
- Superior customer service skills with a positive, can-do attitude
- This candidate must have the passion for all things wine and the eagerness to take the initiative to provide excellent hospitality
- Willing to jump in as needed; and have the ability to connect with customers and sell them wine.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and have good computer skills.
- Outstanding communication skills, with a good “floor presence”
- Requires initiative, vision, high energy level
General Qualifications & comments
- Assistant Manager Candidates must have the necessary legal documentation to work in Canada.
- Managers must possesses the following physical attributes:
- Ability to stand for up to 10 hours per day
- Able to lift 35 lbs
- Available weekends and holidays
- Possess the ability to be in control under stressful situations.
Hours of work and compensation
- This is a full time, year-round position commencing as soon as possible.
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Ideally the candidate will already be living in the Okanagan and ready to commence work immediately.
- The work week will be 5 days a week with a necessity to work weekends.
The Search Committee will begin considering potential candidates immediately and will continue until the role is successfully filled. Applications, including resume in word format along with a cover letter outlining education and reasons for interest in the position and compensation requirements should be submitted electronically, in confidence directly to: email@example.com