Black Hills Estate Winery (www.blackhillswinery.com) is a very prestigious and successful winery operating on the famed Black Sage Road between Oliver and Osoyoos, B.C. in Canada. From the spectacular terroir on our 50 acre estate vineyards, our winery has been passionately hand- crafting exceptional wines for over 18 years. This includes our flagship Nota Bene and Alibi blends. Thanks to our success we have a position available for the right individual to come and join our passionate and fun-loving team.
We are currently recruiting for the position of Assistant Vineyard Manager. This is as a permanent, year-round position offering an attractive salary and excellent bonuses and benefits. The winery provides excellent training and further educational opportunities. Further the winery has fun team-building events during the course of the year and wine tasting/educational sessions.
The Assistant Vineyard Manager is a very hands-on role with Black Hills Estate Winery and will be involved in a myriad of tasks throughout the course of the year. The Assistant Vineyard Manager (AVM) will first and foremost be passionate about growing the best wine grapes in the country. This person will understand our Terroir, and will be ecstatic about the opportunity to work with our existing vineyards and taking it to the next level. The AVM will have a broad range of proven skills in Vineyard operations and have a good understanding of how his/her Viticultural activities have an impact on the wine-making operations. The AVM can expect to do physical work in the vineyard throughout the year, and even pitch in to help the winery staff in a wide variety of tasks at various times of the year.
This position would commence immediately and will work closely with and report directly to the Vineyard Manager of Black Hills Estate Winery, Steve Carberry as well to President, Glenn Fawcett. This Assistant Vineyard Manager will also work very closely at times with our Winemaker, Graham Pierce and our Winery team.
General duties for this position include:
- Hands on involvement in every facet of the vineyard operation, including pruning, tucking, thinning, harvesting, irrigation, etc.
- Operation of Farm tractors, sprayers and other mechanical equipment.
The Assistant Vineyard Manager will have the opportunity to learn extensively and to be involved in all aspects of the vineyard operation at Black Hills Estate Winery. This will come in the form of both hands-on learning and financial support for outside learning in conferences and courses. For the right candidate, there is also plenty of opportunity for future promotion and further responsibilities within this dynamic, fast-moving, entrepreneurial business.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years working experience in other Vineyard environments and be proficient in driving tractors and working with other farm implements
- Must be mechanically inclined.
- Although not essential, a certificate or degree in Viticulture from an accredited academic institution would be beneficial.
- Physically strong & capable of hands-on working in a vineyard environment.
- Highly driven, ambitious personality with a strong track record.
Hours of work and compensation
- This is a full time, year-round position commencing in as soon as possible.
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience with an attractive salary, bonus, extended health & dental benefits and educational allowances.
- Ideally the candidate will already be living in the Okanagan and ready to commence work immediately.
The Search Committee will begin considering potential candidates immediately and will continue until the role is successfully filled. Applications, including resume in word format along with a cover letter outlining education and reasons for interest in the position and compensation requirements should be submitted electronically, in confidence directly to: email@example.com