The Product Development Manager is responsible for formulating, managing, and coordinating product and project management for the development of travel products.
He or She plays a liaison role between Business Development, Sales, Marketing, Customer Experience and Technology teams from ideation to operational execution.
Working with cross-functional teams, the Product Development Manager participates in the development of strategic tour and travel products by identifying potential products, generating product requirements, determining specifications, production timetables, and time-integrated plans for product introduction, and negotiating and acquiring new agreements with suppliers.
He or She will define and execute operational implementation and assist in go-to market strategies and tactics.
Required Qualification and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in travel and tourism, or a combination of 5+ years of relevant education and experience
- 5+ years of product management experience
- Extensive knowledge of tourism marketing, advertising, sales and product development
- Proficient in MS Office 365 and share point
- Ability to work with multiple systems and applications like spreadsheets and Reservation/CRM systems
Essential Competencies and Characteristics
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity with or without direct authority
- Communication, negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize competing or conflicting requests, meet deadlines, and maintain attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrates unquestionable integrity in every aspect of work and dealing with others
- Consistently models desired behaviours and values established by company
- Respects diversity of perspectives in discussions and demonstrates an inclusive style
- Displays effective listening and maintains contact with suppliers and cross-functional teams
- Demonstrates effectiveness in linking product and service features and benefits to customer needs
- Results-oriented and makes fact-based decisions and follows through to completion, analyses and uses data to achieve goals, drives execution, initiates action and follow-ups to successful completion
- Effectively collaborates, builds and maintains partnerships with suppliers, clients, guests, and staff at all levels across the company.
- Maintains flexibility and reacts to change appropriately.
- Communicates and shares information with candor that builds trust and enhances relationships
- Continuously manages administrative functions to ensure quality and timeliness
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Outstanding time-management skills
Reports to: VP Sales & Marketing
Collaboration & Communication
- General Manager/Senior Vice President
- VP Guest Experience
- Sales and Guest Manager
- Destination Manager
- Sales and Reservation Agents
- All other members of the team based in all locations
- External stakeholders, e.g. Guests, Suppliers, and Vendors
Duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of companies core products and services and utilizes this knowledge to successfully formulate, manage, and coordinate product and project management for the development of travel products
- Formulates, builds and maintains comprehensive partnerships with industry suppliers and stakeholders
- Collaborates with VP of Sales & Marketing, VP of Guest Experience, Destination Manager and high-value clients on development of product strategy including analysis, target guest profile and key selling points
- Negotiates, evaluates and oversees all contracts related to products
- Acts as a resource for Sales and Reservation Agents and provides insights into new products by creating and delivering presentations and reference documents
- Acts as advocate for guests when reviewing go-to market collateral and related offers to ensure clarity of messaging
- Contributes to the development of sales, offers and promotional tactics with creative thinking, innovative ideation and competitive analysis
- Identifies trends to maximize communications of offering, benefits and points of differentiation by product
- Executes operational implementation of products
- Consistently ensures that business is conducted with integrity at all times and that behaviour aligns with company values
- Champions high quality customer service and ability to challenge vendors and suppliers to go beyond and above in delivering a quality experience to guests
- Serves as the main point for the Destination Manager, Sales and Guest Manager and Sales and Reservation Agents to ensure that all team members are constantly aware of systems, processes, product and services information, itineraries and prices
- Manages set up of systems, processes, product and services within the product development discipline to ensure sound knowledge, understanding and accurate handling of guest reservation requests, inquiries and third-party vendor set up
- Identifies opportunities and weaknesses and makes proposals to create value and customer experience
- Attends industry meetings and community events and promotes brand, products and services to increase leads and drive sales
- Attends all scheduled meetings as required
- Performs special projects as assigned by VP Sales & Marketing
***Competitive compensation, bonus and benefits.
The Search Committee will begin considering potential candidates immediately and will continue until the role is successfully filled. Applications, including resume in word format along with a cover letter outlining reasons for interest in the position and desired compensation should be submitted electronically, in confidence directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those candidates currently eligible to work in Canada will be considered.