Sales Manager, Retail & On-Premise Channels – Southern Alberta
Rare career opportunity with this industry leader, world class brands, world class organization with opportunity for growth and development.
Under the direction of the Regional Sales Director Open Markets, the Sales Manager, Retail Channel and On-Premise (Licensed establishments including restaurants, bars pubs, nightclubs and banquet halls) will provide direction, coaching, leadership and motivation to the local sales team to achieve sales Distribution, Volume, and Profitability targets for local Retail and On-premise accounts. The Sales Manager will need to ensure that the Retail and On-premise Sales Teams master the market, their customers and their sales techniques through regular in-field coaching/support and by working closely/collaboratively with other key regional stakeholders such as the Alberta Field Marketing Manager, Retail Commercial Manager, the Licensed Retail Store (LRS) Sales Manager and the regional Wine Specialist.
– Promotes and increases sales within the Retail and On-Premise channels through the aggressive execution of national and regional sales and marketing strategies.
– In collaboration with the Alberta Sales Leadership Team, develop and cascade sales objectives against the business fundamentals of Distribution, Pricing, Shelf, Promotion and Display/Visibility to the field sales team.
– As a member of the Western Canadian Leadership Team, the Sales Manager LDB and On-premise is responsible for channel specific forecasting of volume and Advertising & Promotion (A&P) as per the SAPS process.
– Responsible for managing regional On-Premise A&P budgets and ensuring that fiscally responsible spends and appropriate ROI maximization is achieved.
– Prompt reporting of information to Trade Marketing and Regional Sales Director regarding competitor activity against the fundamentals of Distribution, Pricing, Shelf, Promotion and Display/Visibility.
– Complete formal cycle of Performance Management PMP Mid-Year and Full year reviews for all direct reports.
– Conduct monthly 1-on-1 meetings with all direct reports as per standards.
– In collaboration with Human Resources and Regional Sales Director, interview and on-board new sales talent to fill vacancies as they arise.
– Performs other duties as required.
Market and Environment: Ability to develop and maintain a deep knowledge of the business landscape and environment evolutions (legal, supply chain, tools…): key players (competitors, other consumer brands companies, key customers, …), distribution channels – including their distinct go to market strategies – and category trends, in order to maximize business opportunities
Portfolio Brands & Products: Ability to develop and maintain a deep knowledge of brands and their positioning within the competitive landscape to be able to coordinate portfolio and channel strategy, and to offer adequate solution to stakeholders (customers, consumers, opinion leaders, international distributors, internal stakeholders,…)
• Knows Wine & Spirit universe, their history, elaboration, production, consumption modes
• Differentiates our brands & categories vs. competitors’, promoting PR products’ main characteristics, taste and other qualities
• Executes the portfolio / brand action plan in his/her area of responsibility, applying distribution guidelines
• Builds forecast (short- and mid-term) and conducts SWOT analysis based on his/her understanding of market & customer trends
• Implements main action plans at local level on his scope (distribution channels & customers), taking PR strategy into account
• Implements consistent trade terms structure and investment level, suitable with customer issues
Drive for Sales Results: Ability to assess, recommend, implement and evaluate effectiveness of commercial activities (sales force, promotion, account investments,…) in order to optimize commercial performance and ensure excellence in execution
Consumer/Shopper Insights: Ability to capture and exploit strong consumer / shopper understanding and trends to develop actions appealing to consumer needs (promotion, merchandising, animation, testing, assortment, sales opportunities, outlet activities,…)
Analytical Thinking: Ability to consider all appropriate information, break things down and determine cause and effect relationships to make effective recommendations and develop operational actions
Organization & Planning: Ability to prioritize tasks and to manage efficiently time and resources in order to track and optimize the activity in a changing environment
Education & Experience
– University degree
– Minimum of 3-5 years sales experience, supervisory or team lead experience in a related or complimentary field.
Key Skills & Attributes
– Setting Sales Unit Strategy: establishing a plan to achieve the LRS and On-Premise channel sales objectives, taking into consideration overall business and sales goals, market opportunities, past sales results, and available resources; reviewing progress and adjusting the plan as needed.
– Making Sales Operations Decisions: making day to day decisions required to manage the sales function, including deploying resources, allocating costs, and directing sales activities; securing and comparing information from multiple sources to identify key issues; committing to an action after weighing alternative solutions against important decision criteria.
– Coaching and Developing Sales Team: diagnosing areas of improving salespersons’ techniques; providing timely guidance, instruction, and feedback to help strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas and optimize sales success. Attracting, developing, and retaining talented individuals; evaluating key strengths and development needs for the team and providing leaning opportunities that enable associates to realize their potential.
– Proven ability to deal successfully with multiple channels of distribution with success.
– Strong time management and organization skills with attention to detail and accuracy
– Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Very competitive compensation pkg, 100k+++ vehicle etc.
The Search Committee will begin considering potential candidates immediately and will continue until the role is successfully filled. Applications, including resume in word format along with a cover letter outlining reasons for interest in the position and compensation requirements should be submitted electronically, in confidence to:
to apply for this role please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and if this role is not an exact fit, please note that other roles are available in this vertical so don’t hesitate to submit a resume for consideration.